|Expected Release:||March 4, 2022|
The Batman is an upcoming film based on the character of the same name. It is set during Bruce Wayne's second year as the Caped Crusader.
To be added
- Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon
- Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle/Catwoman
- Paul Dano as Edward Nashton/The Riddler
- Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth
- Colin Farrell as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin
- John Turturro as Carmine Falcone
- Jayme Lawson as Bella Reál
- Peter Sarsgaard as Gil Colson
- Barry Keoghan as Stanley Merkel
References to the broader DC Universe
- Bruce Wayne/Batman is introduced.
- James Gordon is introduced.
- Selina Kyle/Catwoman is introduced.
- Edward Nashton/The Riddler is introduced.
- Alfred Pennyworth is introduced.
- Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin is introduced.
- Carmine Falcone is introduced.
- Bella Reál is introduced.
- Gil Colson is introduced.
- Stanley Merkel is introduced.
- Maroni is mentioned.
In April 2016 at Cinemacon, Warner Bros. confirmed that Ben Affleck would write and direct a solo Batman film. In January 2017, Variety reports that Affleck will step down as director but will stay on as producer of the film. By November of 2017, Affelck indicated that he still had not committed to the project fully, was looking for a "graceful and cool way to segue out of it."
- Christian Bale said he would only play Batman again if and only if Christopher Nolan directed the film. Nolan said that after The Dark Knight Rises, he will never direct another superhero film again; however, Nolan did contribute as a writer/producer on Man of Steel and was an executive producer on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Ben Affleck said that this movie will have an original story; however, it was announced that parts of the movie will take place in Arkham Asylum, meaning the movie might take inspiration from the Rocksteady video game series.
- Ben Affleck confirmed on August 30th that Deathstroke was a main villain in his script. Joe Manganiello was signed to play Deathstoke at one point.
- On Monday, August 29th, there was supposed leaked footage of Deathstroke walking towards the camera in a steamy surrounding. It was posted on Ben Affleck's Instagram profile and the DC Extended Universe's official Instagram profile.
- In both editions to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice there are references to several DC Comics Batman villains: Jimmy Olsen when the African Warlord shoots him his superiors radio over Talon is down Talons are a group of members from The Court of Owls Empire, Anatoli Knyazev / KGBeast in the comics known as KGBeast, Jason Todd / Red Hood In the Batcave the damaged Robin suit belonged to Jason Todd with a haunting message from The Joker, Man Bat the bat creature busted out from Martha Wayne's grave and attached Bruce Wayne is Man Bat, The Joker and Harley Quinn Bruce Wayne said to Clark Kent Gotham City and me has had a bad history with freaks dressed like clowns, Selina Kyle / Catwoman, and Talia al Ghul when Bruce Wayne mistaken Wonder Woman for women he used to know, Harvey Dent / Two Face when Clark Kent looks through the bat brand photos with Judge, Jury , and Executioner with the news statement said Harvey, The Riddler there is graffiti on pillars in an abandoned part in Gotham City along with The Riddler question mark.
- Ryan Potter made a 58 second choreographed fight sequence video of him campaigned for the role of Tim Drake / Robin.
- Ben Affleck, who initially was attached as director, stated that he stepped down from the job so he could focus more on writing, producing and starring.
- Matt Reeves was picked by the studio over Gavin O'Connor, Denis Villeneuve, Matt Ross, George Miller, Ridley Scott and Fede Alvarez to replace Ben Affleck as director.
- Darren Aronofsky was at first being interested by the studio to direct the new film.
- After Matt Reeves officially replaced Ben Affleck as director on Feb 23, 2017, Warner Brothers announced on Wednesday, January 30th, 2019 that Affleck would also no longer reprise his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman. On May 16, 2019, it was reported by Variety that Robert Pattinson was in negotiations to take on the role as Batman. On May 31, 2019, it was reported that he officially signed a deal to star as Bruce Wayne/ Batman and that he was the first choice by director Matt Reeves. Reeves confirmed the casting two days later on his twitter account by posting a GIF of Pattinson's character from the film Good Time, accompanied by three bat emojis.
- Robert Pattinson was director Matt Reeves top choice from early on in the writing process. Reeves has said to have been very impressed by Pattinson's 2017 film Good Time, and Pattinson's performance in the film is rumored to have played a major role in his decision. Reeves didn't even know if Pattinson was interested in the part, having avoided blockbuster and franchise films since finishing the last Twilight sequel in 2012.
- Matt Reeves opted not to use the script Affleck had been preparing when he was set to direct, preferring to start fresh with his own story.
- Batman's full real name is Bruce Thomas Wayne. Robert Pattinson's middle name is also Thomas.
- Robert Pattinson is the second british actor to play Batman after Christian Bale.
- Ralph Fiennes has expressed interest in playing Alfred Pennyworth. He previously played the role in The LEGO Batman Movie.
- Several Hollywood actors/actresses have shown interest in the film. On Twitter, Josh Gad has campaigned for the role of the Penguin for almost one year. Marvel stars James McAvoy and Sebastian Stan, who play Charles Xavier and the Winter Soldier, respectively, expressed interest in playing The Riddler. After various rumors and fan-art emerged that painted Vanessa Hudgens as the new Catwoman, she went on Instagram and expressed a desire to play Selina Kyle in the upcoming Batman movie.
- Director Matt Reeves stated, that while writing the screenplay, he listened to the track "Thank God for the Rain" from the soundtrack of Taxi Driver on loop.
- Matt Reeves has stated that his Batman movie will be a point-of-view driven noir tale with heavy focus on Batman's detective work.
- Rumoured to include a total of six villains. Villains that are confirmed for the film are: The Riddler, Catwoman & The Penguin. Villains that are rumored to appear are Two-Face, Firefly, and Mad Hatter.
- The plot is rumored to involve unsuspected murders occuring in Gotham City, Batman uses his detective skills to find the one behind these vicious acts, he then goes through a long journey in Arkham Asylum.
Promotion, Filming and Concept Art